Genoa Newspapers Archive
The Genoa Public Library owns past editions of the Genoa Issue, Genoa Journal, and the Genoa Republican. In 2017, the library entered into an agreement with the Regional History Center at Northern Illinois University to scan and digitize our earliest paper editions. The issues available via our website are the result of our agreement.
"The Genoa Index was begun in 1884 by D.W. Hartman and Co., the first issue bearing date 23 October, and continued until sometime before 1891 when the name seems to have been changed to The Genoa Issue and R.E. Roe was the publisher. George E. Sisley and Co. bought The Genoa Issue in 1891. It ceased publication sometime before 1902. The Genoa Journal started in 1900 with D.S. and R.H. Lord as owners and continued until 1904, when it was bought and consolidated with The Genoa Republican. The Genoa Republican was begun in 1902 by Walter F. Dumser and Edward G. Dougherty. Dumser became the sole owner in 1903 and in 1904 sold to J.M. Alden.
Later in 1904, Charles D. Schoonmaker bought both The Genoa Republican and The Genoa Journal, combining them under the name of the Genoa Republican-Journal until 1919, when the name was changed back to The Genoa Republican. In 1923, C. Coleman Schoonmaker, son of C.D. Schoonmaker, took over as partner and published the paper until his father returned from Rockford, in 1936. The newspaper was published at 501 W. Main Street (Pacific Hotel). They worked together until November, 1946 when they were joined by a third partner, Arthur B. Geithman. After the death of Charles D. Schoonmaker in February of 1947, C.C. Schoonmaker and Arthur Geithman became co-owners and continued to publish The Genoa Republican until they sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Barry Schrader on May 19, 1966. In 1968, the Schraders sold to the DeKalb County Press, who continued to publish The Genoa Republican until they sold out. At this time The Genoa Republican died."
~Excerpt taken from the book Genoa, Illinois: A History of Its Township released in 1986 and sponsored by the Genoa Sesquicentennial Commission.