1,000 Books to Read Before Kindergarten is 100% FREE!
The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless. Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (yes books!) before your little one starts Kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start Kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started!).
The key is perseverance. Make it exciting. When your children reach a mileston, give them a small reward (stickers, backpacks, books). If you come to the Library for each milestone (100, 200, 300 etc.,) we'll give you a new sheet and a sticker!
How to Participate
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for both of you.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading in a spiral notebook, on the 1,000 books reading log, online, or whatever method works best for you.
- Who can participate in this program?Any child from birth until they enter kindergarten can participate.
- How long will the program take?The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate?All of them, if they haven't started Kindergarten!
- Do I have to have a Library Card?Nope! Anyone can sign-up.
Have more questions or want to sign-up? Call,815-784-2627 or stop in the Library!